Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Mike Doughty curiosity

For the past year or so, I've been playing what apparently is a Mike Doughty "greatest hits" collection that is available only outside the a United States and Canada: "Introduction," on the label Nois-O-Lution, catalog number B001LPDJMY. You can find this disc on various international Amazon.coms, but no other info except maybe a track listing--no reviews, no notes. I wasn't even sure that it was a legitimate release (you can get bootlegs and probably counterfeits on Amazon.com; I keep looking for in vain "David Hasselhoff, Live In Germany").  So here's the cover:




I've been listening to the mp3s that I "found" somewhere but I decided to spring for the CD because is functions as a really good "greatest hits" of Mike Doughty's early period.

2 comments:

  1. ah, mike D.. funny..have been listening to mike for weeks..when possible. the nasal resonance, the rhythm, all conducive to dream sequence. often think of king's ex singer..doug pennick? dif species but similar inner beat and nostril to throat hum..i soar upon the tonalities and sway..so i am finding you dispersed between images and sounds, your writing as precise as ever. thank you..fine season to you..nadine s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. For the past six years I've been at a loss for something to rant about.

      Mike Doughty was actually an early writing inspiration for me in the '90s. He was on heroin during that time--this probably contributed to his lyrical brilliance (example: "$300"). Some writers (such as virtually all the Victorian Romantics) do their best work while addicted.

      In my case, something has to make me really mad to bring out my best. Anger is a bit higher on Maslow's hierarchy of needs than where I'm currently at. Plus, Freemasonry has taught me that it's better to be productive than angry. I decided a few years ago to spend the rest of my life trying to atone for the harm I might have inadvertently caused in the preceding years. If I can accomplish this--while cobbling together something halfway readable--I might furnish justification for my continued presence here.

      Delete